Friday, February 18, 2005

Apply the Ply




Well, there is no turning back--it's time to start screwing some plywood onto those frames.... I decided on a high-grade flood underlayment from the local lumber company. The bad part is that the 3/8" ply is only 3 layers (so there is a bias in how the grain it running), however the good news is that I have yet to find any significant void in the edge and that it's just over $20/sheet (as opposed to $50 for marine grade).

I had fun cutting some wide scarfs for the front section and will just use butt blocks for the back where it's a pretty straight run. I don't have space to scarf 3 pieces of plywood so this seems to be the best solution. I put on one layer, removed all the temporary screw, and put on the second layer with the permanent fastenings (only screwing to the longitutinals as recomended in my plywood boatbuilding book).

Fairing the ply down to the chine log was pretty straight forward and the powerplane made quick work of the worst of it. A little touch up with the stanley #113 and she looked pretty fair to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home