Monday, May 23, 2005

Fiberglass Fun.....


I bought 27 yards of 50" width 8oz cloth from US Composites in FL. Even with shipping, they were far cheaper than anything I could find locally. This is the same place I got my epoxy resin and had been happy with their service. Fiberglass is a tricky little art--big flat areas were easy enough, but getting it to lay fair as it went over all the concave/convex curves down around the skeg proved to be entertaining. I had good luck using an 8" wide sheet rock mud knife to squeegee the resin around and work it into the cloth. I used a cheap chip brush for the tight areas and to make small changes in how the cloth lay. I put on one coat of epoxy to seal the plywood, then layed the glass cloth on dry and wet it out, then 2-3 more coats to fill the weave and give me enough to sand down to fair....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home